Monday, January 16, 2012

Meet the Pairs! (Educational Leaders)

We have 14 teams in our class, each comprised of one Emory student (nearly all public health) and one Teach for America corps member. To make the class fun and to inspire everyone to learn more about the transformational leaders who have shaped our fields, we've divided the class in half and named each pair. The pairs in this half are named after leaders in education. Click on the link in each team name to learn more about its namesake.

Team (Geoffrey) CANADA

Jennifer Reid, MPH Candidate, Hubert Department of Global Health
I think that health education in schools is an important starting point for a healthy life which often gets passed over to meet other state and federal education requirements.  I also love working with adolescents and its one group of people where I feel I really can make a positive influence in their lives.


Sunni Krengel, 9th grade biology, Therrell High School

 ***
Team (John) DEWEY

Negar Avaregan, MPH Candidate, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
I was drawn to this program due to its unique opportunity to apply the health education skills that I have learned, in an academic environment.  This will provide me with practice that will be invaluable for my future aspirations as a health educator.  This program will allow me to understand the intricacies of teaching in a school environment, while giving me the opportunity to develop, practice, tailor, and present health curricula to a younger audience.

Kay Bloomberg, Second Grade, Frank L. Stanton Elementary School
I applied to Classroom to Community because of my general lack of health knowledge. Four years of living with nurses has not rubbed off on me in any significant way (although I know the names of a lot of drugs), and because of that my students lack quality health education.  I see it in their hygiene, their nutrition, and the way they take care of themselves (or don't.) I want my kids to learn early how to look after their own well-being. 

  ***
Team (Michelle) RHEE

Erin Keyes, MPH Candidate, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
I am interested in this class because of the opportunity it grants to engage and participate in my Atlanta community.  It is based in tangible experience and a dynamic excitement to educate and empower kids from a variety of ages all across Atlanta.  In this program, we comprehend that health is not only the absence of disease, but a combination of factors from physical to mental to spiritual and beyond!

Chrissy Booth, 10th and 11th grade chemistry, Washington High School
I'm excited for this opportunity to empower the young people in my classes both as current students and as potential future health providers. So many of the kids I teach would be better students if they could improve their health. I look forward to incorporating more public health education into my classroom and also to working with my Emory partner.

***
Team (Booker T.) WASHINGTON

Carrie Oliver, MPH Candidate, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
I was interested in participating in Classroom to Community because of my future goal to develop a standardized sexual health curriculum for high school students. I have a strong passion for both working with the youth and health education and am looking for a way to merge these two areas of interest. I feel that Classroom to Community will get me one step closer to accomplishing that goal. 


 
Sofiya Erman, 9th grade biology, South Atlanta High School
I joined this class because there is a huge correlation between education and access to healthcare.  I want my students and their families to have the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy, educated decisions.  With this class, we can begin to make a dent in the health and educational disparities that exist in the classroom and in the communities in which we work.  

 ***
Team (Jaime) ESCALANTE

Sahar Salek, MPH Candidate, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
The Classroom to Community course fosters an environment for community-engaged learning, and I am both inspired and motivated by all of our diverse sets of interests and skills that bring us together for this.  With the opportunity to collaborate and learn from current TFA teachers and students, I hope to gain a better understanding of school health and educational needs, and identify areas in which we, as a community, can make efforts to improve health resources within Atlanta schools. I look forward to learning from everyone this coming semester!


Michael Turgeon, 9th grade biology, Banneker High School
My experiences as a Teach For America corps member have brought to light the barriers that limit access to high-quality health resources in low-income communities. There is a substantial need for a comprehensive approach to conduct health education in public schools, and the Classroom to Community seminar offers an avenue to address those inequities. Working with health experts, I hope to revamp the current health curriculum, deliver frontier research, and assess the health needs of my school—all to ultimately empower the surrounding community.

  ***
Team (Howard) GARDNER

Lolly Beck-Pancer, MPH Candidate, Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
I believe that the community is our greatest teacher, especially four-year-olds. Interacting with and learning from children gives me energy and fuels my drive to make a difference. I'm excited to encourage children to be environmentally conscious, and I look forward to gaining valuable experience towards becoming a school-based health educator. I am grateful to be a part of this unique partnership with Teach for America.


Julie Allen, Pre-kindergarten, Camby Lane Elementary School
I am outraged by the disadvantages facing our nation's low-income children, and one of the biggest challenges for the pre-k age group is a lack of proper nutrition, poor sleep habits, and no access to healthcare including basic dental, vision, and hearing screenings. I hope that by bringing an MPH student into my classroom, they will be more committed than ever to work for this population while providing my students with exposure to health issues.

***

Team (Wendy) KOPP

Sarah File, MPH Candidate, Global Epidemiology
I wanted to participate in Classroom to Community because I have been trying to figure out how to combine my interests in teaching and public health research into a career that has an impact on the community.  Though I have several years of teaching experience, I do not have any formal training around curriculum development, child development, or health education.  I look forward to working with and learning from everyone in this group, and hope to enhance the health education of Atlanta-area students.

Trent Murphy, 9th grade math, Stephenson High School
I plan on attending medical school and have been very interested in health issues, particularly in how we can improve health initiatives in low-income communities. I believe the classroom is the best environment for proper health education and want to do my part on improving that process. 




No comments:

Post a Comment