Monday, January 16, 2012

Meet the Leadership and Support Team


"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams." - Arthur O'Shaughnessy

This class would not be possible without the great support and active engagement of many people. Meet the crew who have made this class happen.

Ariela Freedman
Teach for America (Chicago, ’00)
Assistant Research Professor, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University
 I love teaching. Working with students of all ages – from preschool through PhD school – is my passion. Creating this course is a way for me to reconnect with my experience as a Teach for America corps member many years ago. Even more importantly, Classroom to Community is a way to bring the rigor of Teach for America’s Teaching as Leadership framework into the way we think about teaching future health educators at Rollins. It is my hope from this class that my students leave feeling empowered and inspired to be excellent health educators. Further, I hope that our Teach for America corps members are motivated to seek further education in public health!


Lauren Lamont
Teach for America (Atlanta, ’08)
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development at Teach for America




Audra Williams
Teach for America (Atlanta, ’06)
MD/MPH Student, Rollins School of Public Health and Emory School of Medicine
I am so excited to a part of this Classroom to Community collaboration. As a TFA alum and current medical and public health student I have been looking for ways to combine my passions for education and health. In both arenas I have seen firsthand how a lack of education can lead to poor health outcomes and how health problems can limit education opportunity. Through this class I'm looking forward to getting back into the classroom and seeing the impact that this group can make!



Kristin Unzicker
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Botswana '04-06)
Director of Leadership and Community Engaged Learning, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University



Julia Painter
Teach for America (Atlanta, ’01)
Post-doctoral Fellow, Vaccinology Training Program, Rollins School of Public Health and Emory University School of Medicine
I loved teaching high school with TFA, and I miss it all the time. I also still feel strongly connected to TFA's mission. While teaching, I was frustrated by the many health issues that prevented my students from focusing in the classroom, which  drove me to pursue a career in public health. I try to link my public health research to adolescent and school health whenever I can. I am very excited about the Rollins/TFA partnership which has the potential to positively impact students and teachers in so many ways!

2 comments:

  1. Scroll down to Rollins School of Public Health and check us out:
    http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_REPORT/stories/2012/01/campus_school_spring_outlook.html?utm_source=ebulletin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jan172012

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to give kudos to Ariela and the other leaders - it is a major accomplishment that this class was identified as a highlight by RSPH in the semester round-up. Each school could only identify a few areas of focus and this class was one!

    ReplyDelete